With summer time being so busy and with three kiddos having birthday’s in the late summer, we decided to celebrate all of them at once. The end result was a morning filled with fun times with family and friends. The kids felt loved and this momma really enjoyed the laid back party. Since it was a party for all three I had a really hard time trying to do a theme or combining themes. I decided to give myself a break and go the simple route and do the basics of food and favors. The kids didn’t care. The adults surely didn’t care…might have been because I used that money savings on some champagne and orange juice! It was a great reminder that the celebration truly is about the people and not the decorations or the themed food or anything else.
Party planning can get overwhelming and I tend to stress about everything turning out the way I have envisioned in my head. Taking a step back was so great because I let that all go and the kids go to help where they could. For the favors I had and helped each kid pick out 2 of their favorite things to give to their guests. Then we filled the bags. As simple as this task is and I could have easily got it done so much quicker, the kids really enjoyed doing it.
The one part of the party I still kept “themed” was the birthday cakes. I enjoy letting the kids pick out a cake design and attempting to make it. Thankfully they are pretty easily convinced on the easier designs. With my encouragement Sevea picked out a butterfly. The picture we found was so cute.
After getting the cake assembled, I was about to tackle decorating it when I thought to myself, why not let Sevea decorate her cake. She loves helping whenever she can and she jumped at the chance to decorate her cake. Did it turn out anything like the picture above, absolutely not. Did I love it more than the picture above? 100% yes. This whole birthday party was a big reminder for me to step back and just enjoy letting them be little. Let them help when possible and don’t fret the small stuff. Because then you get huge smiles and happy kids!
Speaking of happy kids, all three really loved the gifts they received and we are very thankful for such giving friends and family. The best gift is always them coming to celebrate. We enjoyed some brunch with the menu includingn fresh fruit, Jaime cake (monkey bread), biscuits and gravy casserole, and tater tot egg bake. All were delicious and definite ones I would make again (note on the tater tot recipe…I didn’t follow the veggies listed instead used peppers and mushrooms, and a can of green chilis. Make sure to season the tater tots too.)
After eating and opening gifts, it was time for the cake. Even though the party was a little smaller being it was just close friends and family, I still made three cakes. Each kid had to have their own you know! I made my favorite chocolate cake I always make, a Twinkie cake that I had done as cupcakes before and then an ice cream cake that is made with ice cream sandwiches. Each kid had their own cake to blow out the candles and for this year their ages equaled the number of letters in Happy Birthday. You gotta love Brynna’s famous mean mug. She sure can melt you with those smiles but boy that mean mug will surely make you laugh.
It’s really hard to believe that another year has passed and each one of these kids is a year older. I really try to take time around their birthdays to really think about how much has changed for them over the past year and for each of them they have grown and experienced so much. So instead of letting the sadness of my babies growing up settle on my heart, I let the joy settle in knowing that the next year is sure to hold many more fun and happy times. I just hope maybe time will listen this year and slow down just a tad!
No comments:
Post a Comment