Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cohen Week 4 Update

Two more weeks down. These past 4 weeks have flown by. Almost too quickly. I guess I wouldn't have said that during Cohen's growth spurt but all in all things have been going great. Cohen did have a growth spurt pretty much right at 3 weeks old. He had been doing okay sleep wise before that having a typical night of 3-4 hours of sleep, then 2.5 hours and finally 2 hours at night. Otherwise I had been keeping him mostly on a two hour schedule during the day hoping this would help at night. The 3 week mark hit and he demanded food at 2 hours or less during the day and continued this at night. This thankfully only lasted 3 nights. We also discovered the heaven sent nuk! I knew Cohen was a baby who loved to suck but we hadn't found anything that would help besides me. And I was okay with this for the time being since I know it can only help with milk supply. But the day of Sevea's party was another story. He seemed to only be content when he was feeding....or I guess not even feeding but attached to me. I got out the two nuks we had tried previously as well as the one many hospitals provide that we had from when Sevea was a baby. We tried the hospital one first and it worked! He loved it and it has proven to be an absolute blessing for us.

Since the growth spurt we have seen almost every night consist of a stretch of 5 hours, then possibly 2.5-3 after that, followed by 2 or 3 more hours. The 5 hour stretch has been so great but I am not trying to get accustomed to it knowing that it isn't a guaranteed. Feedings have been going great. I am still attempting to take this time around with breastfeeding much more relaxed. So far it seems to be better for me and for my milk supply. We've fallen into a great 3 hour routine for feedings during the day which really helps compared to the 2 hour for making me feel like I have more time. Cohen seems content and satisfied with this routine as well. We can tell he is growing so that is the important thing.

Cohen continues to roll over. We are still thinking his strength compared to his head size allows him to roll over. But we still have found ways to force him into tummy time :) He has content times on the floor when his belly is full. It seems like his eyesight is getting a little better. We look forward to when he can really notice us. Little tidbit about Cohen: His habit of having the hiccups inside the womb has continued. He got them pretty much daily when I was pregnant and he seems to get them at least once daily now. Being only 4 weeks Cohen's day isn't too exciting only consisting of feedings, diaper changes, sleep, and some awake time. But we are loving it anyway!





1 comment: