Tuesday, February 19, 2013

B is for…

Broccoli!!! You’ve probably noticed that I get real joy and excitement from watching my kids choose healthy options to eat. I feel like we’re a pretty balanced family when it comes to food, of course we could do better but we could do a lot worse. We definitely have sweets but we also try to incorporate healthy food at every meal. I don’t even know that we can take credit for Sevea’s good decisions but I suppose she couldn’t make those decisions without us providing the option. Our biggest push is just for her and Cohen to try the food we serve. And ever since we implemented the “spit it out into a napkin if you don’t like it” rule things have continually improved in terms of getting Sevea to try new food. Sevea has been on a good roll lately with trying new foods and finding new things she likes. Even still it came as a COMPLETE shock when this month she tried steamed broccoli and actually liked it. Now sometimes she says she likes something but in reality doesn’t. She’ll eat the piece but will not touch more and the next time it is served she might not eat it still. So the first night she ate it, all 3 bites plus 3 more she asked for, I didn’t know if it would be a fluke. Just so happens we had leftover broccoli for the next night and she devoured her serving and asked for more again. We then had a cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole a couple days later. You know what, the girl who always picked around things and ate what she wanted, ate the entire serving. ALL of it! These moments are truly what makes me proud as a parent. They remind me that Troy and I deserve a little pat on the back at times. It is so hard at times to continually serve the kids food that we know will go in the trash. These moments remind me the more we expose her to the foods the more likely we can get her to eat them someday. So many things we do as parents aren’t just about the now but the future. Here’s to hoping the next steamed broccoli meal will be a success!

IMG_6275IMG_6276IMG_6277

No comments:

Post a Comment