Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Green Grass

Today started out just like any other day. I woke up and got ready for the gym. Went to the gym, had a great workout, then rushed home. Troy leaves for work almost as soon as I walk in the door. So it is rush rush rush to finish helping the kids get ready, packing Sevea’s school lunch/snack, and starting the daycare day. But today as I walked into the house after the gym, I could smell something. It was a smell that always reminds me of my dad.

IMG_3366

I noticed Troy had lit the green grass candle. We don’t light the candle that often and I just figured Troy thought the house smelt a little. (It did the day before because I had thrown some fish in the garbage) Then it finally hit me after an hour of being home. Today was the day eleven years ago that my dad died. My first thoughts were to tell Troy how lucky I am to have him as my husband and how thankful I am that my dad got to know him. Then I started thinking about how much has changed over the past eleven years. Waking up today was so much different than waking up those days following my dad’s death. I woke up each day remembering today was a day I no longer could see my dad. Each day was hard and emotional. But then today on a day that I should remember my dad’s death it just slipped my mind. Instead of the burning green grass candle reminding me of what I had lost it simply reminded me of what I once had. Time has changed how emotional this day made things. It is true that time heals. But the one thing that time doesn’t do is take away your memories. The times I used to cry are now filled with times of smiles and laughter. I am thankful for time. It gave me 22 years with my dad filled with many great memories. So today I am going to enjoy the smell of the green grass and take today to remember those memories.

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. Today is just another day to be thankful for the time we had. Sadness may still be present, some days more than others, but love and thankfulness are what we feel daily.

    ReplyDelete