I figure a great follow-up to my last post about my transformation would be a healthy recipe. I’ve definitely come a long way in regards to my eating. And I can thank that in large part to trying new recipes. We’ve definitely experienced some disasters….like spaghetti squash that we made back in 2007 and haven’t trusted to attempt again. But then I’ve found some great recipes that make eating healthy so easy. One big change I’ve made in my eating is my breakfast. I used to eat cereal like it was going out of style. And I still love cereal but I realize it doesn’t fill me up so I choose to eat things more filling. Since I workout in the morning it is even more important that I fuel my body appropriately to maximize my efforts. Enter protein! It is the one thing most of us don’t get enough of. Eggs are a great way to get some protein in and they are so versatile. I recently found a crustless quiche recipe that included ham and broccoli. I found it right before Easter and figured it would be a great recipe to use up some ham. Well we ate the ham leftovers before I made it. Since I had bought everything else I went to the store and bought some jennie-o turkey ham and got to cooking. We LOVED it! I am not a fan of cottage cheese but it totally works in this recipe. And getting veggies in at breakfast time certainly makes me happy. The best thing about this recipe is that the cleanup is so quick. I was making egg muffins before and those muffin tins are a pain to clean. Give it a try! It reheats well so make it ahead of time and eat throughout the week. I totally think you could make different variations with this one as well. I know I plan to!
Recipe from Skinny Mom
Skinny Crustless Quiche
Ingredients
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups liquid egg whites (I used 4 eggs and 6 egg whites)
- ½ cup broccoli, cooked + chopped
- ½ cup extra lean ham, diced (I used Jennie-o turkey ham)
- ½ cup reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray 9½-inch pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour ingredients in.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until center is set.
I have been making my own breakfast sandwiches...English muffin, egg or egg white, shredded cheese. Delicious and less sugar than cereal...and like you said good protein!
ReplyDelete