Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Back to School

Summer has officially come to a close. Today marks the first day of fall and we are already looking forward to next summer. But until then we’ll try to enjoy all the good things fall, winter, and spring provide as well. One thing is going back to school. This year was the second year for both older kids being in school/preschool. Sevea had a rough start last year and I was hopeful this year would go better since it wasn’t such a change from preschool the year before. Before school started everyone asked if she was excited for school…her response was always “not really. I like summer better because school is boring and I have more fun at home.” Well I can’t blame her. She had an amazing summer getting to do special field trips almost weekly with her friend Grace. Plus our days were relaxed and all about having fun outside. No structure (for the most part) and it was great. Well I am happy to report she had a great first week and has continued to do well. The most she had was a fluttery belly during school time that first week. We’re adjusting this year to having homework and hopefully we’ll find our groove with it all before the other two enter school! I do have to say I enjoy homework because it gives a better idea of how she is really doing (her homework mostly consists of math work except we need to sneak in more reading time and practicing sight words). We’re hopeful for another great year for Sevea!

IMG_4832

Cohen entered his 2nd year of preschool. This year he will be attending the same preschool, Stepping Stones, but will now be going only 4 days per week. He will spend three days in the normal classroom and then one day in the special classroom working on the things he needs help with. On day 1 his speech teacher sent home a note saying she was really impressed with how much his speech has improved over the summer. It was so great to get that note because she certainly saw a huge change and he seems less and less behind. One thing I notice and it is one of his goals is to work on handwriting. He had 0 interest in coloring or writing before this summer. Then all of a sudden he seemed more into it. It still isn’t something he is really into so that will definitely be something he will need to work extra hard on. But his attitude couldn’t be better…towards school that is….his general attitude needs work at times ;) I’m certain he’ll have another great year and we’ll look back and be amazed by his progress.

IMG_4897IMG_4900

Another change for Cohen this year is only riding the school bus one time a week since the other days I drive him and Grayson to preschool. Thankfully he wasn’t real upset about this change and although he still really loves the bus rides, he is having fun going with Grayson. It is rare I get to spend time with just the two of them and I’m really thankful for those school trips. For one they are strapped into a seat so they can’t fight with each other (at least not with their hands). For two they have the most fun conversations in the vehicle. It has been so great to listen to them. It reminds me daily that these two are growing up too quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment