Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Weekend Away

This blog has mainly evolved into a online scrapbook of sorts of my kids’ lives. Our lives as parents tend to revolve a great deal around our kids. And rightfully so but before Troy and I had kids we made it a point that once we had kids that we weren’t going to stop living as a couple or as a friend or the many other things that we as individuals are as well as a parent. And I think we’ve done a pretty good job incorporating all those parts together. Sure parenting comes first since those kids depend solely on you. But there is also time in there to have friends and to have a life that does not revolve around kids. And we think we have some of the best friends you could ask for. One group in particular we find to be extra special. We’ve been told numerous times by so many people how rare it is to have this what we like to call “framily”. And we agree. How often can you find 4 couples who completely get along. Not only do all the couples get along but the boys are all best friends and the girls are all best friends and the guys and girls are friends as well. It really works out well and we are so thankful. But I think you get what you put into a relationship as well. We make plans together as a group quite often to help keep the relationship going strong. Many times the kids are along which only helps to build the relationships the kids have with one another. But we also make it a priority to have kid free time as well.
IMG_5330IMG_5336
At the beginning of November we made a weekend trip to a cabin near Hayward, Wisconsin. If you remember we had gone to another cabin there for 4th of July two years ago and we were excited to return to the area. This time we made good use out of leaving the kids behind and took an adult approach to the vacation.
First stop was the local brewery. This was a great idea after a long car ride. I am usually not into craft beers but I liked quite a few of the beers this place had.
IMG_5328
After a relaxing drink we headed to the cabin which was mind blowing. Granted the rent for this place in peak season is also mind blowing. But the great thing about it was each couple (all 5 couples) got their own bedroom with at least a queen bed in it. Plus plenty of space in which we didn’t utilize nearly enough. We did take advantage of the pool table the first night however we learned all you really need is a table to gather around for good conversation or a place to play games.
IMG_5344IMG_5345IMG_5339IMG_5341
The next day we went back into town and enjoyed a wine tasting. I bet they don’t have groups like us in there often. Not that we were being obnoxious and no one was drunk, but we have a pretty funny group so many times our table got a little louder just because of laughter. I honestly had a moment when I looked around and thought these other people should be jealous because I love these guys so much.
IMG_5348IMG_5356IMG_5351IMG_5353IMG_5358
Well then we get two steps out the door and I think oh my, I don’t think I even want to know these people. Totally joking but I’m sure we had some people staring at this sight. I don’t know how it happened but somehow there was a reenactment of a leg behind the head incident way back in 2007. It was impressive Chris could do this back then but I am still impressed 8 years later he can still manage this even if Andrew needed to force help Chris out. I don’t blame Chris for wanting to hide after all that. But we got him to easily come out of hiding once a return trip to the brewery was mentioned.
IMG_5359IMG_5362IMG_5363IMG_5367
We headed home after the brewery and enjoyed a quiet night in the cabin. It was a great weekend to reflect on the great friendships we have in our lives. Not only with this group of friends but also others. I know my kids will only get older. They will end up occupying less of my time and eventually leave my home all together. So I will continue to remember to keep strengthening the relationships I have with others.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!!!! Great friends!!!! Great framily!!!! Thanks for the reminder of all that we are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!!! Great friends!!!! Great framily!!!! Thanks for the reminder of all that we are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete