Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cold Weather Comfort Food

Just when we all thought spring was going to be here soon, we get dumped on with over a foot of snow. Coincidentally this happened on the same weekend that Troy decided he was craving chili. He took on the task of making chili for the first time all on his own since I was spending time scrapbooking with my gals Carissa and Katie. This was actually the firs time that either Troy or I made chili. Crazy huh! We've been married for over 7 years and never once have we made chili. (Luckily the Zimmer's invite over us sometimes and make good chili) He found a recipe online, went to the store and got all the ingredients, and cooked the chili all himself. Now I know chili isn't exactly difficult to make but a good chili recipe is sometimes hard to find. He really hit the nail on the head with this one...of course with a few additions on our part. The chili was meaty yet had beans and tomatoes we both love. It had the right amount of kick to it and also a tiny touch of sweetness. It was great! He did an excellent job and I certainly loved the fact that it made so much....pop it out of the freezer and meal is ready! He couldn't have chosen a better time to make chili, not only because the weather really made you love the chili even more, but because I had just found a recipe for nummy cornbread that we wanted to try. A high school friend of mine posted about nummy cornbread and I had to give it a try. I am a recent fan of normal cornbread I think solely because of the honey and butter I put on it. Well this cornbread is sweeter and sticks together better. All you do is take 2 boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix and one box of white/yellow cake mix. You mix everything that the boxes call for only substituting milk if it calls for water. Then bake according to the cake mix, which the time might take a little less. It turned out awesome. Again this made a TON! But you can easily freeze this along with your chili. The little sweetness of the cornbread made it a great option to even have in the morning with eggs. Sevea loved it!
I guess if the cold weather is here for a little while longer, we might as well enjoy some good comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment