Thursday, August 2, 2012

Little did we know

Today I am married to a man I didn’t even know when we first started dating. You see Troy and I started dating our sophomore year of high school. I think many of us can look back on our high school-selves and realize that we are much different than what we knew of ourselves then. When Troy and I started dating it was sort of out of convenience. He was friends with the group of guys we hung out with. When he called on December 15th, 1997 to ask me out we’d really only had innocent flirty group encounters. What I knew at the time was that I had fun with him. I knew I liked spending time with him. But I didn’t necessarily think much into the relationship. What does a 15/16 year old really require in a boy/girlfriend? I know I wasn’t thinking about whether this person would be good as a husband. I certainly wasn’t thinking about all the qualities I would want in a father for my kids. Sometimes as a teenager you are just with someone to be with someone.
T&A Slideshow 041
These two teenagers knew so little about life and relationships. For as much as we thought we knew, we really had no clue.

Fast forward almost 6 years into the relationship. I knew I was in love. I knew Troy made me happy.  I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I knew marrying Troy was what I should be doing. I woke up on 8.02.03 thinking that life couldn’t get any better. I couldn’t be happier. Life was perfect.
SCAN0002
This is definitely a time where I am thrilled to have been wrong. Life has gotten better. I’ve experienced a level of happiness I never thought possible even on such a happy day like our wedding day. Of course extreme happiness occurred surrounding exciting times like the addition of Sevea and Cohen into our family. We’ve shared many good times together on trips or hanging out with friends and family. But there are so many times on random days when I feel like my love for Troy is the deepest and my happiness cup is overflowing. He proves to me time and time again the little things in life really do matter and they make such an impact on your life.

At 16 or even 21 there was sooooo much I didn’t know. Of course many of us at that stage in our life think we know it all. We think we have it figured out. But life tends to prove no matter your age or how much you have encountered you never truly have it figured out. And I’ve come to appreciate this. Because it means that each year I get to spend with Troy as my husband, I will feel and experience a level of happiness and love I couldn’t imagine. Little did I know that after being together for almost 15 years and celebrating 9 amazing years of marriage, I would be in love more than ever…but what I do know now is that it only gets better!!

Happy Anniversary hun!

5 comments:

  1. Wow those are some young looking kids! Who would have known a slinky in the back of a Geo Metro would lead to all this!?!

    ILY Babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Amy & Troy! You are an amazing couple & meant for each other. It was always a certainty you would be a love for the ages....but....it was a pleasant surprise when you made such beautiful children..jk...lol

    I can't believe you have almost been together as long as you were alive prior to becoming a couple.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story about a great couple :) Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 9 years = 3285 days = 78840 hours = 4730400 minutes = 28382400 seconds and I have enjoyed EVERY second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what a great post and great outlook on one of the greatest gifts you have been given in life. Something to treasure day in and day out. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete