This summer we experienced something as a family that I started to wonder if it would ever happen.
We went on a family bike ride. It was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! While I thought 2017 would be the year for no training wheels for at least one kid, we didn’t end up getting there. Somehow we just didn’t get the bikes out and make it happen. But this year we not only got Sevea on two wheels but Cohen as well. Last year Cohen was looking like he could get it but he wasn’t ready to trust he could do it. Sevea was still nervous and unsure she could do it. We reminded her of all the balancing she was able to do at gymnastics and that she just needed to trust herself and pay attention to keeping herself balanced. I think this really helped. She got good at riding straight and then after many failed trips around the basketball court at school she finally was going in circles. Then before we knew it she was riding around like she had been on two wheels for years. I’m certain she could have done it sooner but we just didn’t stress it. One of those parenting battles that really isn’t worth it. Cohen on the other hand needed very little encouragement from us to try this year. I think a little sibling comparison was all he needed. Brynna even took her training wheels off for an attempt but quickly decided she didn’t feel ready. All three out of training wheels in one summer would have been crazy. With just one out of training wheels would have been a highlight so we could bust out the bike trailer that has collected years of dust. With both Sevea and Cohen able to ride confidently and with a good amount of speed and endurance we were able to go for some good bike rides. Brynna just wasn’t able to keep up enough with the training wheels so she loved the bike trailer. It was so great to get out and be active in the beautiful summer weather. We are looking forward to many more of these family rides next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment