8 weeks have passed since Cohen's birth. The weeks just seem to fly by. Especially now that I am back doing daycare. On that note: daycare is going well. I was really nervous how it would go with breastfeeding. That was really my one concern. But we have worked it out so far. I am feeling very blessed to get to spend this time with Cohen. And Sevea is very glad that her daycare friends are back. She got a little bored and clingy during the two weeks of vacation. But I guess I didn't mind it too much since I got a ton of cuddle time with her which is priceless at this age.
Back to Cohen. We have really fallen into a routine or I guess more so we have figured each other out. Things really changed at the 6 week mark. Before 6 weeks he was definitely needy. It was maybe a once a day thing where he would lay on the floor or elsewhere and be content with it for more than 5 minutes. Otherwise it felt like he ate all the time, slept all the time, and then fussed the rest of the time. Okay I may be a little dramatic...he was a normal baby I suppose but I think I only remember the good stage with Sevea so I had high expectations. It wasn't difficult to care for him and I never wanted to pull my hair out so I can't say it was THAT bad. (Remember my thing about comparing to Sevea...yeah I learned I need to let that go!) After the 6 week mark things changed for the better. I don't know if it was just the age he was or if I finally figured him out more. I think for sure the latter. It is so nice to have Carissa who just went through these stages with Grayson to discuss things with because I for sure don't remember everything. She reminded me that Grayson could in no way stay up for 90 minutes like some of the books have said babies naturally do. On the other hand Cohen could easily stay up but the light bulb moment was that he didn't want to. That has made a huge difference. He typically wants to go back to sleep after an hour. Even when he seems to be sleeping while eating. This has resulted in an easier time getting him back to sleep and a happier little guy. And a happy mommy too.
So with more sleep during the day I feared like most would that sleep at night would suffer. Quite the opposite. Cohen is making a natural progression to sleeping through the night...or so I hope. He eats between 9 and 10 and then sleeps till 3ish. With the most recent luxury of sleeping then till 7ish. It has been nice to essentially only get up once a night but I am careful to accept this as the norm. As all parents know things change often with infants.
The life of a 8 week old doesn't hold much more excitement. Feeding has been going well. He takes to either form of delivery of the milk. He normally eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day. I still hesitate to let him go much over the 3 hour mark but I try to let him wake up naturally most of the time. It has been fun watching him take in the world. He definitely notices those around him. He has a fascination with the wall where we change his diaper. He just stares and is content. We aren't for certain if he likes the yellow color or if he is looking at the wall hangings. He is a fan of sucking on his fingers and hands as well. Since he likes the nuk I wonder if he will find his thumb and start sucking that instead because of convenience. We shall see. It is music to our ears to hear all the new noises Cohen makes, especially since they aren't crying :) Little coos are definitely fun to listen to.
We have Cohen's 2 month appointment on Thursday October 20th. It will be fun to see the stats on how much Cohen has grown...especially compared to his big (little) sister!!
 |
| Love the hand holding |
 |
| Hmm, I think I like sleeping more |
 |
| Can't really tell but his left hand was in the air, he was totally out |
 |
| Sucking on my finger |
 |
| I just rolled over and enjoy this view much better...I can see the ceiling fan! |
 |
| Sevea likes to have him suck on her finger/hand too :) |
Ah look at that little man. It's amazing how quickly it has flown by. It seems like yesterday you were pregnant and struggling down the stairs through your contractions. But I guess that went fast so why not the first 8 weeks. I love being able to see him grow and enjoy in all that makes him Cohen.
ReplyDelete