Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Finally sharing the news

After finding out we were expecting again, I thought it would be so hard to wait and not share the news. But after the first couple days passed it turned out to be quite easy. It was actually a relief for Troy and I to not tell our family and friends right away. It allowed time for us to be excited but also to share our fears with each other. It seemed like the day would never come but finally we had our first appointment at 10 weeks and 3 days on January 24th. Our doctor was aware of the miscarriage and rather than talk a bunch we got to the ultrasound right away. This is standard practice for our doctor and we were super excited to be able to see how things were going. It was such a relief to see the little peanut moving around and to hear that it had a good heartbeat. The best words the doctor muttered were "It looks to be very much a viable pregnancy. Yeah Congrats!" I was able to breathe a little more.

Although I still wasn't super ready to tell people the news I knew I needed to take the opportunities that presented themselves. My friend Vicky was nice enough to come watch the daycare kids while Troy and I went to the appointment. Since we used to work together at the daycare center and she also had her own daycare at one point, I requested some assistance in figuring out art projects for the month. Eventually we got to Valentine's week and I showed her a sample of what the kids could make. It really was just a card announcing the news.
Sevea wanted to be in the picture too...turned out so cute!
One person down and many others to go! Next on the list was Carissa. I thought she would be the most difficult to keep the secret from since I see her so often. But when I did tell her I knew it was the right timing and it was nice to share in just her pregnancy for longer! I planned to make a lemon cake for Carissa's baby shower. So I told her I made a sample cake to see if the cake was what I wanted. I wanted her to try the cake so I took a piece out and brought it over to her house. After putting some paint on the walls in the baby's room it was time for lunch. I thought Carissa would never want to eat the cake! She wasn't really into eating the taco salad she made so I quickly suggested she eat the cake instead :)
I hid a little note under her piece of cake
I thought for sure finding a piece of paper under cake would have given it away but she actually needed to read the note
Although our bellies won't be huge together, we are still thankful for this dream to be true again
Carissa was super excited and even more excited to hear that I had been to the doctor and things were good. For Carissa the miscarriage was a loss she needed to process herself. So we knew it would be easier for her to have true excitement with having a little less to fear knowing there was a heartbeat and things looked good. Her reaction was definitely worth waiting those 6 1/2 weeks for!! There is still more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment